Monday, January 1, 2018

FINISHING WHAT I STARTED...DAY 4: DOUBLE COLD SPRINGS SHELTER TO CLINGMAN'S DOME





It's hard to believe it's been six months since we completed our last section hike; and even harder for me to believe that it's taken every bit of that six months to finish writing about it.  I can't put my finger on just why, other than to say that the fact that the trail was unkind to me caused me to question whether or not I would return.  But, as 2018 came rolling in last night, I realized that I need a change of scenery; that I need to get back out in the woods and finish what I started.  I've never considered myself a quitter when it comes to hiking the Appalachian Trail, so it's time for me to let go of the hard times I had on this last hike and turn my sights to the next one...

For the first time in two days, the clouds parted, revealing the warmth of the sun to a shelter full of water-logged hikers...




Having made the decision the night before to end our hike a day early, our spirits were a bit lighter than they had been over the past couple of days.  I have to say that a part of me did feel like I was quitting, something I had never done on previous hikes, but I had to listen to my body as it told me, "It's time to go."  Thrilled to put on our one set of dry clothes, we packed our soaked gear into our muddy packs, put on our last pair of dry socks, then slipped into our wet boots.  The end was in sight, so the damp shoes didn't seem so bad.

While the trail had been unkind, the people we met along the way made up for it tenfold...

Marissa, Donelle, Debbie, Me, Goose, and Scott (rear)

This was our first experience sleeping in the shelters, so we really didn't know what to expect, but the time spent each afternoon with our fellow hikers is what made this trip so special.  I can only hope to be so lucky in terms of shelter-mates when I return to hike the second half of the Smoky Mountains.

I think what was most notable about this last day was the beauty of the terrain.  Double Cold Springs Shelter sits at roughly 5500 feet elevation, so we noticed a change in the foliage as we neared the shelter the night before.  But what met us on this last day was nothing short of breathtaking.  The almost sub-tropical undergrowth gave way to almost prehistoric-looking pines, filling the air with the smell of Christmas trees.  I was in heaven!  That being said, the trail still gifted us with more than our fair share of mud...








And, just like the three days before, the trail seemed to delight in going up...and not just in small sections...no, each step seemed to be at least a 20-inch step, forcing our already-tired leg muscles to carry us, and our packs, forward.  I think my comment was, "I am SO tired of going up!" 

We'd been told that views from Clingman's were rare, so we were thrilled when we neared the summit and the sky became clearer.  It was pretty cool to be able to put my right foot in North Carolina and my left foot in Tennessee.  I think it was my brother who made the comment that being privy to such amazing views is what made all that we'd been through worth it...





 I will never forget the joy I felt when we reached this point on the A.T.  My brother looked at us, as we contemplated whether or not to complete that .3 miles to the tower, and said, "Come on, let's do it!  We've come this far."  He was right.  We'd come that far!


 We passed numerous tourists as we traversed that final .3 miles.  They were all clean and fresh...full and happy.  Some were headed south on the trail, and hopefully headed our warnings concerning the treacherous conditions on the trail.  Knowing what we'd come through, seeing the mix of sneakers and sandals made it obvious to us that they were not prepared.  Sometimes, all you can do is try...

There really are no words to express how thrilled we were when the tower at Clingman's Dome finally came into view.  Of course, we had to take our exhausted selves up to the top...cause we'd come this far.  It was absolutely freezing up there, but worth the steps!




 Reaching the top of that tower empowered us with such a feeling of accomplishment!  Scott and I gave each other a "high five" and I think I might have even shed a couple of tears, because I'd truly given everything I had in me to reach that point...to be standing atop the tower at Clingman's Dome.  After a couple of photos and a minute or two to reflect, we slowly made our way down towards the parking lot.  Since we had a bit of time to wait, we sat in the sun, removed our wet socks and shoes, and just absorbed the warmth of the pavement under our feet.  We were completely exhausted, but proud of ourselves.  But, as we left Clingman's behind us, I truly felt that I would not be back.  And that feeling has come and gone in the days since...


...but as I sat there last night, watching the ball drop as 2018 came rolling in, I felt that old, familiar longing in my heart...the A.T. was calling to me...and today, I can't wait to get back out there!

Happy New Year, everyone!  And, Happy Hiking!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment